Hemingby ~ A Home to Generations
The village is first recorded as Hamingebi in the 1086 Domesday Book, from the Old Scandanavian Hemingr+by or “farmstead of a man named “Hemingr” (A. D. Mills, “A Dictionary of English Place-Names,” Oxford University Press, 1991.) and to this day farming is a major economic activity in the village.
In 1801 the population was 231 and by 1891 it had grown to 401 by which time Hemingby had become a thriving farming community and continued to be so well into the 20th century. A mill, a blacksmiths and village shops provided for the commercial needs of the village and St Margaret’s parish church, rebuilt around 1771 of local stone in the Grecian style and restored in 1895, together with a Weslyan Methodist chapel (founded before 1841 and replaced by a new one in 1859) catered for the community’s spiritual needs. For the children of the village, a free school was founded in 1727 becoming the girls’ school when a new school for boys was built in 1865. This building became the Village Hall in 1970. The village pub, the Coach and Horses, was originally a coaching inn on the route from Louth to Lincoln and provided the focus in the community for communication with the outside world as well as a place to relax and socialise after work.
A revised and updated version of the village history book “Hemingby Ancient and Modern” is being produced and will be published later this year. Additions include more about the shocking murder of the Parish Constable in the 1870s as well as information on archaeological finds during the recent building of flood defences.
At the time of writing there are 210 on the electoral register and, interestingly, of the 106 different names on today’s register, only 6 appear in records from the 19th century (1842/72). These statistics reflect Hemingby’s changing population as agricultural workers have moved away to seek new employment and commuters have moved in. Over recent years the farms and population of Hemingby have become less dependent upon the services of local tradesmen. As a result, the mill, the blacksmiths and the village shops have closed. The chapel closed in 1978 and is now a private home. The school being now the village hall, children attended nearby Baumber school until it shut and now go to local schools in Tetford, Scamblesby and Horncastle. Only St Margaret’s church and the Coach and Horses remain to. continue serving the needs of the community.
Today, Hemingby’s farms are among the most efficient in the country and stock bred in the locality regularly wins prizes at the Lincolnshire Show and shows up and down the country. But with this efficiency has come a reduction in the demand for labour and only a few villagers are now employed in agriculture. However, improvements in road transport and electronic means of communication have led to an influx of residents attracted by the village environment and prepared to commute to work, or thanks to the Internet are able to work from home.
FOR FAMILY HISTORIANS
The History Group collates records of the village and documents 21st Century life for those to come.
To help us record the history of Hemingby’s properties please download and complete our questionnaire by clicking the button below.
If you have an interest in the history of Hemingby or are researching past residents send us an email using the form or telephone