The village is first recorded as Hamingebi in the 1086 Domesday Book, from the Old
Scandanavian Hemingr+by or "farmstead of a man named “Hemingr" (A. D. Mills, "A
Dictionary of EnglishPlace-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.) and to this day
farming is a major economic activity in the village.
In 1801 the population was 231 and by 1891 it had grown to 401 by which time Hemingby
had become a thriving farming community and continued to be so well into the 20th
century. A mill, a blacksmiths and village shops provided for the commercial needs
of the village and St Margaret’s parish church, rebuilt around 1771 of local stone
in the Grecian style and restored in 1895, together with a Weslyan Methodist chapel
(founded before 1841 and replaced by a new one in 1859) catered for the community’s
spiritual needs. For the children of the village, a free school was founded in 1727
becoming the girls’ school when a new school for boys was built in 1865. This building
became the Village Hall in 1970. The village pub, the Coach and Horses, was originally
a coaching inn on the route from Louth to Lincoln and provided the focus in the community
for communication with the outside world as well as a place to relax and socialise
Today there are 210 on the electoral register and, interestingly, of the 106 different
names on today’s register, only 6 appear in records from the 19th century (1842/72).
These statistics reflect Hemingby’s changing population as agricultural workers have
moved away to seek new employment and commuters have moved in. Over recent years
the farms and population of Hemingby have become less dependent upon the services
of local tradesmen. As a result, the mill, the blacksmiths and the village shops
have closed. The chapel closed in 1978 and is now a private home. The school being
now the village hall, children attended nearby Baumber school until it shut and now
go to local schools in Tetford, Scamblesby and Horncastle. Only St Margaret’s church
and the Coach and Horses remain to. continue serving the needs of the community.
THE HISTORY GROUP COLLATES RECORDS OF THE VILLAGE AND DOCUMENTS 21ST CENTURY LIFE
FOR THOSE TO COME
To help us record the history of Hemingby’s properties please download and complete
our questionnaire here.
If you have an interest in the history of Hemingby or are researching past residents
send us an email or telephone-
Chair - COLIN THORNTON, 01507 578040
Secretary - DOUG RODWELL, 01507 578533
Today, Hemingby’s farms are among the most efficient in the country and stock bred
in the locality regularly wins prizes at the Lincolnshire Show and shows up and down
the country. But with this efficiency has come a reduction in the demand for labour
and only a few villagers are now employed in agriculture. However, improvements in
road transport and electronic means of communication have led to an influx of residents
attracted by the village environment and prepared to commute to work, or thanks to
the Internet are able to work from home.
A revised and updated version of the village history book “Hemingby Ancient and Modern”
is being produced and will be published later this year. Additions include more
about the shocking murder of the Parish Constable in the 1870s as well as information
on archaeological finds during the recent building of flood defences.
There will be a launch party. Further details will follow in due course.....